DIVE 2020 will feature a special line-up of guest speakers for its special 30th anniversary NEC Birmingham event! From tek diving and historic wrecks to dive travel, training and freediving, the four in-hall stages will have it covered with cutting-edge presentations from world-leading presenters, including:
- Mike Menduno – the man who first coined the term “Technical Diving” – giving a special presentation each day to mark the 25th anniversary of Eurotek, which ran alongside the 1995 Birmingham Dive Show hosting tek-dive pioneers such as Billy Deans, Olivier Isler, Bret Gilliam, Lamar Hires and Rob Palmer.
- Mark Beattie-Edwards on the wreck of 17th-century warship the London, and plans to raise it from the Thames Estuary in what will be the biggest such initiative in Britain since the lifting of the Mary Rose.
- Outstanding British explorer, TV man of action and expedition leader of the National Geographic Pristine Sea initiative Paul Rose.
- Underwater photography guru Saeed Rashid, who will be curating the show’s popular PhotoZone.
- Renowned seahorse expert Dr Richard Smith, whose presentation entitled “The World Beneath: Underwater Photography Meets Marine Biology” will explore the role of divers in discovering new species and acting as citizen-scientists in today’s challenging underwater environment.
Flying in from the States to deliver several presentations on the cutting edge of our sport will be the diver who coined the term “technical diving”, Michael Menduno.
Alongside his considerable accomplishments as a pioneer of mixed-gas diving as it emerged from US cave-diving, Menduno was founder and editor of the influential magazine AquaCORPS from 1990 to 1996. He also founded and produced the original technical diving conferences Tek, EuroTek (with Diver’s Bernard Eaton) and AsiaTek, as well as Rebreather Forums 1.0 and 2.0.
Menduno has gone on reporting on diving and diving technology ever since those early years. These days he is Editor-in-Chief of Indepth, the scuba-diving blog run by Global Underwater Explorers (GUE). He received the OZTEK Media Excellence Award in 2011, the EUROTek Lifetime Achievement Award in 2012 and the TEKDive USA Media Award in 2018.